II. Learning Objectives
Students completing this assignment will be able to:
- Maintain professional-quality specimen collection notes.
- Collect plant specimens from the field using proper techniques and including adequate material for identification.
- Identify unknown plant specimens using multiple forms of reliable evidence.
- Prepare and deposit research-quality herbarium specimens.
- Deposit species and occurrence data into national/international databases.
- Explain the importance of herbaria in plant biology research.
- Discuss the value of large data sets for investigating large spatial- or temporal-scale phenomena.
- Evaluate the importance of citizen scientists to large data sets.
Connecting Students to Citizen Science and Curated Collections